Friday, January 4, 2008

Edzna and Campeche (second visit)

The last of the Christmas pictures. Santa seems to have ended his trip in Tenabo.



There are many horse drawn carriages for the tourist to ride upon in Merida and they all advertise car rental places.


Our very own Christmas bug. Our apartment isn't inundated by too many insects, even though I could do with a few less ants. This one flew away and I haven't seen his like again.



You've all seen Campeche and I hope I don't repeat too much. It was cold and windy and damp while we were there and I've caught a nasty cold and cough. It's irritating as much as anything because it's been years since I've had a cold and to get it in the tropics seems unfair.


We liked this church because one of the steeples is like a lighthouse. Perhaps, before the malecon was reclaimed from the sea, it actually functioned as a lighthouse, but it doesn't anymore. The Talavera tiles on the front are unusual.



This is inside the Italian Coffee Company. We had taken shelter from the cold in order to fortify ourselves with lattes. The businesses make good use of the old buildings. WIFI is available as well.



This has got to be Saint Pious, I think.




Campeche's cathedral at night.



Below is a pool hall/video game parlor at night. I like the Moorish arches used inside.




A damp street corner.




There is a fine archaeological museum in an old fort outside of Campeche. The two heads are from its collection. I think the Kedl nose has been around for some time.



The head below looks more Olmec than Mayan, but I'm such a poor historian that I can't give you a true account of its origins.



Being an ex-potter, I'm fascinated by the Mayan ceramics. I haven't included photos of much of the pottery, in part, because it doesn't photograph well in the glass cases, but there is a lot of it in the museums, from small beakers such as below to masks, to ceremonial figures, both very large and very small, and large and small highly decorated funerary urns. The variety is astonishing and I think if I wanted to become an expert in anything, it might be in Mayan ceramics. The piece below is about six inches tall.



Kent gazing out at the angry sea from the fort. I don't know how he managed with short sleeves. I bought a reboza while in Campeche to keep my arms covered.




The inner courtyard of the fort.


Edzna is the ruin of the Mayan city closest to Campeche. We hadn't visited it before and so this time we stopped on our way south. That is our neighbor, who went with us, peeking around the corner of the top of the major pyramid.


Heights are not my forte. I hesitated climbing the pyramid because I knew I'd be nervous (what an understatement) coming back down. Instead of trying to preserve my dignity, I simply grabbed the rope provided for the timid and backed all the way to the bottom.

Here's the vulture, on a nearby pyramid, who is waiting for me to make a misstep.


And the stairway that I navigated in both directions. I see there is another person following my gringa lead. Or maybe she is on her way up.


Another Kedl nose.
A bit of the fauna.
My pyramid in its entirety.

A bit of the flora in a papaya tree.