Saturday, January 19, 2008

Merida's Artensania Museum

Izamal had a good artesania museum and I'd wondered why Merida, a much larger city, didn't have one as well. We found it yesterday.

They had a nacimiento show and many of the groupings were of local figures as part of the Bethlehem scene. Here are the mariachis.



The one below I don't understand. Perhaps it is a nacimiento for mariners.





The museum is in an old mansion, nicely restored, in a neighborhood named Mejorada. I guess this was the only place for the big leopard sculptures. At least they didn't require a glass case. Or maybe they need a drink.




We find the skeletons in all walks of life.



This unusual figure had an oddly Assyrian look. The goat horns and beard, I think.



I don't mean to only take pictures of the odd and unlovely, but they are the most interesting. I suspect if you google Mexican handcrafts you can find many good pictures of the beautiful objects and the ones skillfully made. Maybe you won't see the ones above.

Below is a typical (and delicate and beautiful and skillfully made) tree of life.