Saturday, March 29, 2008

Last Pictures from Oaxaca

We've been on the road since last Tuesday and before that we were busy packing, but tonight I have a chance to do a little catching up on the blog. Even though at the moment, we are about three hours south of Chihuahua City, I will return to Oaxaca and keep the blog in chronological order.

The last photos of Oaxaca's walls and doors. I will miss them. The ones in the tourist centers we have visited lately are much prettier, but not as interesting.



Someone tried to paint out the old tagging, but it doesn't take long to show up again.


I'm not sure what to make of the picture below. The item that caught my eye was the figure in the niche just to the left of the arrow. Many street corners have these little figures blessing the crossing, I think. But there is a lot going on other than the saint.



The Stamp Museum had a gracious setting in an old building. They not only had a lot of stamps, but they also had stamp art and all the handwritten letters that Frido Kahlo sent to her doctor. It was a more interesting place than I thought it would be, but mainly it was the building that caught my eye. This is a corner of one of the many patios. Again there is a drift of jacaranda blossoms.


From one courtyard to another.


Perhaps someday that plant will fill in the trellis wires, but in the meantime it's a nice geometric composition.



We were in Oaxaca for Semana Santa and although I didn't get pictures of most of the processions, I did walk about my neighborhood the morning of Good Friday. Almost all the businesses were closed, but they had put altars in front of their doors and they waited for roving Christians to come and bless them.


And here was part of one of the many groups who came to bless the altars. The streets were full of processions, young and old, and the figures of Mary and Jesus from their local churches. I don't think anyone tried to drive anyplace on Good Friday. The big procession was in the evening from Santo Domingo up the street and back. It was silent, except for drums and the banners and the figures the people carried were elaborate. We attended, but it was impossible to take photos.

And dancing in the Zocolo on Easter Sunday after the city symphonic band performed.

I'll try to post some of our pictures from the trip back later, but I'm not sure when I'll get another good internet connection, We've been through Queretero and San Luis Potosi, both cities we'd never visited before and both ones we enjoyed a great deal.