Friday, March 21, 2008

Miscellanies from Oaxaca

Our time in Oaxaca is coming to a close. Here are a few of the final pictures from the city.

The Panteon (Cemetery). Unfortunately, I didn't find Oaxaca's cemetery as photogenic as San Cristobal de las Casas's or Merida's, but I include these snaps anyway, so that you can compare them.

Oaxaca's angles don't point to heaven.



This little figure of the Virgin was in a niche on one of the graves. I think I ought to photograph saints' faces. They are as varied a group as the pre-Colombian figures. This one has a pleasant, medieval, calm appearance.


The A. Bravo Photographic Gallery had a show of a Danish sculptor's work.



The fleshy figure in the photo below looks exactly like the sculptor, who is getting very old.




And finally, some of my favorite subjects--walls.




Wrestling is a favorite spot here and the individual wrestlers are famous. Their masks make popular Halloween masks and they can be bought at any gift store. I see that it costs a lot less to go to a strip joint than it does a wrestling match.