Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Oaxaca Walls and Graffiti

We've been told that most traffic rules and signals are merely suggestions in Mexico and here's proof that it's true. Actually, at this intersection if anyone went in opposition to the one way sign, there wouldn't be much of his car left by the end of the block.


Construction methods vary in Oaxaca. The building below is such a mish-mash of materials that I'm not sure when it was built. We often see the soft, red brick mixed with adobe reinforcing window and door frames, but the use of the greenish stone in the upper regions and not at the doors confuses me.


The picture below is for Tyler. He has been interested in seeing florescent lights used in odd ways. The florescent light inside the round window isn't as unusual as those found outside on buildings, but it's a contrast with the old stone--as is the traffic light.



This rooftop is directly across the street from Santo Domingo, the largest and perhaps the most beautiful church in Oaxaca. I think I could rest here comfortably. One not only has the view of the church and the passing tourists, but also a spectacular one of the surrounding mountains. Very few buildings are higher than three stories here. We're in an earthquake zone. I find it remarkable that the old adobes are still standing. Actually, there aren't many really old adobes, only about 200 years old.



I think I find as much interest in the posters and the graffiti as I do the historic buildings. When I take a walk, I'm never at a loss for something to read.



It's possible that every book store in every city in Mexico is having a reading of the "Vagina Monologues." In Merida it was put on in English, but here it will be in Spanish.



The stencilling is good here. Maybe I ought to bring some spray cans and stencils to Sundance.