Thursday, November 8, 2007

Anthropological Museum of Veracruz in Xalapa

We wore ourselves out at the big Anthropological Museum here in Xalapa. It's second only to the excellent one in Mexico City. I suspect that you have all probably seen these, but the Olmec heads are truly amazing.




The museum has all manner of things dug up in Veracruz state, not just the Olmec heads, although they are about the oldest items. This is called "descarnada"--meatless.

Forgive the quality of some of the following. It's a beautiful museum, but dark, and I've shoved the ISO to max and the noise is awful. And then photographing through glass cases doesn't help, but they are so jolly that I want to include them. Be aware that if you position your coursor over the pictures and a little hand appears that you can enlarge the photos. Hit the back button to return to the whole blog again.

When I saw the first of these grinning ladies, I laughed out loud.


The grounds and gallery patios are nearly as exotic, at least to a Wyomingite, as the relics they contain.

A final skeleton to finish off the day. This lady greets diners at the museum coffee shop.


It's cold in Xalapa and Kent has been forced to put on a long-sleeved shirt and soxes. I'm cold too, except for the food. Jalapena is right.

I hope that the organization of the blog is better now. Perhaps I am figuring out how to work the thing. We are happy to have comments at our regular e-mail address.