Saturday, November 24, 2007

Eduardo Pequeno

I found a tin-ware shop near the turn to our hotel and discovered that the owner, Eduardo Pequeno, not only made lamps, colanders, and containers for human bones, but that he made religious shrines as well.



I think everyone visiting Mexico should have a representation of the Virgin de Guadeloupe and Eduardo had them in elaborate tin surrounds in all sizes.


Unfortunately, the one I wanted didn't have a glass pane where Eduardo thought there had to be one and so I, innocently, asked if he could swap the picture I wanted into a frame of which he approved. He looked a little glum, but said it could be done. I thought he could merely slip one picture out and put the other in, rather like slipping a driver's license out of a wallet, but these little shrines are soldered together. The image of the Virgin was sandwiched between two pieces of glass and then soldered all around the edges, then that sandwich was soldered into the tin shrine. Mine is much smaller than the one Eduard is holding the first picture, but I don't think it makes it any easier to undo and then redo. He has to melt the old solder on both sandwiched Virgins and then resolder. He eventually had to call his wife to help.
Watching his ancient methods of working tin was worth the price of the shrine, but I felt guilty at causing so much work. I don't know whether our limited Spanish is a blessing or a curse. If I'd understood, I'd never have asked him to do it, but we were greatly appreciative of watching him.

Below is the charcoal burner upon which he heats his soldering irons. The shiny stick on the low table is the solder and the baby food jar holds the flux, which he dips out with a stick.


The objects he makes are rough, but have great charm.