Thursday, February 21, 2008

Ek-Balam and Valladolid

On the morning of the 15th of February, we got up early to visit Ek-Balam before it got hot. This is another of the many ancient Mayan cities in the Yucatan and I won't put too many pictures of it into the blog, but the first three pictures are of the principal pyramid and some of the plaster sculpture. The figures are located under the palapa roofs halfway up the pyramid--as far as I got. Andy and Kent lept about all of them, but I've decided that I've climbed enough pyramids for this year.




Since I wasn't climbing pyramids, I took a photo of this big-eyed ant. I don't think we have this kind in the States. I think he's bigger than anything we have at home. Ants abound in the Yucatan and in our apartments, both the one in Merida and the one we are in in Oaxaca now.

I don't know what this is other than it's on an agave plant. I didn't see it until I unloaded the photo into the computer, but it seemed interesting.


After Ek-Balam, we went to Valladolid for lunch. The main square is similar to most Yucatecan towns, but this little park was near the public library and we stopped at a restaurant for coffee while Andy expored the library. Spring comes quickly in the Yucatan.







We went to the market's food court for lunch. Here's Andy trying to decide what to eat. I cannot remember what it was, but it was good. So was Kent's and my lomita de Valladolid.