Friday, February 8, 2008

Uxmal and Return to Merida

Uxmal is the Mayan ruin that is often Yucatan traveler's favorite archeological site. It's not quite as huge as Chitzen Itza and the architecture is rounded and a bit more welcoming. The site itself is somewhat prettier and there are trees and shady spots. It was hideously hot when we were there on Ash Wednesday--97 F. and at least that with the humidity. We had thought of visiting some of the other Puuc sites, but I pooped out. Andy could have continued easily, but he was kind and allowed the aging gringa to get back in her air-conditioned car. The Puuc Hills, south of Merida about 70 KM., are the location of a number of Mayan ruined cities that have similar architecture.

There is a small museum at the entrance to the site.



Below is the back side of the principal pyramid. This was the one I was saving my energy to climb. Thank god, the officials no longer allow the tourists to climb to the top. I never would have made it up and back. I don't know what the hole is in the side. Perhaps it's an excavation. Many Mayan pyramids were built one on top of the other and they may be looking for an older pyramid inside. We didn't get a guide, so you cannot ask me any specific questions about Uxmal. Google should answer everything better than I can.

I think these numbers on the principal pyramid are a hoot. Andy suspects they were numbered before someone removed them to excavate and they weren't cleaned up as they were replaced. I like to think that the Maya did it and their paint is better than ours.


The front of the principal pyramid. This is a stitched picture. At this distance, it's impossible to get the whole structure in one shot.



The opening at the top of the principal pyramid.


Andy contemplating Chac noses. Chac is the rain god, a god of great importance in the dry Puuc Hills. Perhaps he was a forerunner of the Kedl nose.


A modern day resident of Uxmal.



Uxmal needs a professional photographer to do the place justice. I did several panoramas, which is the only way to give a notion of the grandeur of the site, but I have to empty the computer before I can put the separate files together. Large stitched files take more memory than I presently have on this computer. Below is part of the Governor's Palace. This is part of one of the four buildings that surround a large plaza.


The ladies loo at Uxmal.

Lunch at Santa Elena after viewing Uxmal. The horse picture made us feel right at home.


On the drive back to Merida, we stopped at a ruined hacienda. The first picture below is of the worker's quarters. They are very rough, but I suspect that the man sitting below probably lives in one of the rooms.




I think that the building below was the principal residence. The chapel would have been to the right and served all the workers.


And the ornate, Victorian ruin below is actually the factory where the henequen was processed. I find it odd that a factory should be so elaborately decorated, but we've seen this at other old henequen haciendas.