Monday, February 25, 2008

Oaxaca Scenes

Here, as in Merida, I walk with the camera at the end of my arm. The following are some of the things that attracted me.

The bougainvillea are for Ken F. Here they have mixed three colors.

The red and white-shirted boys were doing jumps from the lower level of concrete up onto the short wall. They were good.


I cannot resist photographing the wall art.


I think this stencil is of Benito Juarez and that the reference is to the bad odor of politics in Oaxaca State today. Benito Juarez is one of the heroes of Mexico and before he was president of the country he was governor of Oaxaca State from 1847 to 1853. The present governor (Ulises Ruiz, seen on the banner in a previous posting) is so unpopular that I'm told he lives in Mexico City rather than here in Oaxaca, the capital of Oaxaca. Juarez finds what is happening in his state so bad that he must wear a gas mask to endure.