Saturday, February 23, 2008

San Cristobal de las Casas's Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo is an older church than San Cristobal's cathedral.



In front of the church is the artisan's market. There are aisles and aisles of sellers. I am much fonder of the mountain textiles and things made for the tourists here than I was of those in Merida. The people aren't as congenial and relaxed as they are in Merida, but that may be because this has been a tourist hot spot for longer and the sellers are thoroughly jaded.

I bought a huipil (native blouse) from this woman who belongs to the Tzotzil indigenous group. If you click on the picture it will enlarge and you can see her hairy skirt. It must be made from black sheep's wool and it looks warm and sturdy. I bought a huipil like the one in the lower right hand corner and it's of a type I have wanted since we first visited Guatemala in 1996. Guatemala has similar indigenous groups and the textiles there are spectacular.