Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Miscellanies from Merida

We are beginning to organize ourselves to leave and I've been taking photos of some of the places that I've missed.

The building below has to be one of the oddest in Merida. I cannot tell you what it is, although I think it's a public building.


The tailors, like everyone here, enjoy being told that the climate we left at home is more uncomfortable than Merida's. I have no idea how these gentlemen keep their projects organized. The whole shop is a muddle.


Sunday we drove Andy to Ake and Izamal. Those two towns have turned out to be our company trips. Below is a prickly poppy near the ruined henequen factory.


This magnificent blossom is found on leafless branches. The ground is littered with the pink flowers. They are about the size of my hand, perhaps a bit smaller.

On the way to Izamal from Ake,we passed through another small town and I got this picture through the car window.

Kedl feet. We are waiting for Andy to come out of a museum.



The church at Izamal again. The man is wearing a t-shirt with an advertizement for Bimbo. It'a a Mexican and Central American company which makes bread and tortillas. The bread is much like gringo white bread. When on Coot, we used to buy it because it never molded.


The next two pictures are from inside the Izamal church in a portion we had never visited before. Izamal was full of tourists on Sunday and I think parts of the church were open that aren't usually.


We had a nice lunch at a palapa roofed restaurant--the same one Kent and I ate our Thanksgiving dinner. Andy had queso relleno (stuffed cheese) and it tasted much better than this looked. What Andy thought was funny was the Perkins plate his meal was served on. We wonder how that plate made it so far.


I stopped and photographed the roofless church again on the way home from Izamal.