Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Rufino Tamayo Museum

I've been a bit under the weather with a flu bug, but before I got lazy, we had gone to the Rufino Tamayo Museum. Rufino Tamayo is a famous Mexican artist who lived from 1899 to 1991 in Mexico, New York and Paris. He was a native Oaxacan. The museum that we went to doesn't have his paintings, but his collection of pre-Colombian, Mexican art, which he has given to the Mexican people. The whole idea of the museum was to keep these pieces in Mexico and not allow foreign buyers to take them out of the country, as well as to treat the objects as art rather than historical or religious artifacts. He and his wife even restored the building in which the works are housed. It's a great place and as I began to snap odd pictures of the figures in the cases I began to think of the remarkable variety of faces. It's always fascinating to see how men view themselves and their gods.


The first picture is of the courtyard in the museum. Display rooms open off it. I'll keep adding pictures as I prepare them . These are from all over Mexico, not just Oaxaca.